Montgomery County is my stomping ground, but I don’t get to other yoga centers. The eastern half of Montgomery and Prince George counties seem to be under-served or there is a lack of information. I would welcome suggestions as to additional studios.
I have included some options as far out as Frederick, which is not Montgomery County technically.
- Thrive Yoga: on the Pike in Rockville, MD, with great atmosphere and spacious facilities where I’ve practiced since 2004. So roomy, it should be the envy of most studios downtown. Schedule, Yoga Teacher Training (200 and 300 hours) and Facebook.
- Inner Reaches in North Potomac, half the way to Poolesville from Bethesda or Rockville.
- Balance Pilates is Bethesda.
- Sacred Space (Rockville, now closed down) is Kim Groak’s studio.
- Bikram Yoga – Rockville is for those who love to practice in 103 degree heat.
- Pull Down the Moon Fertility Center (Shady Grove), specialized practice for conception
- Opus Yoga – Kentlands
- Divine Life Yoga – Gaithersburg
- Yoga Bliss Studio – on Main Streeet, Gaithersburg
- Yoga Fusion Studio (Chevy Chase) – Teacher Training. Conveniently located just a block of Wisconsin Avenue, and a short walk from the Metro station.
- Extend Yoga – North Bethesda
- Mindfulness Center has some yoga classes. Teacher training: yoga and meditation
- Unity Woods – John Schumacher runs this Iyengar yoga center with multiple studios (Bethesda, Woodley Park, Arlington, and two smaller venues) so it could technically be placed in all three zones in the DC area. Teacher training follows the the Iyengar Yoga National Association of the U.S. (IYNAUS) methodology.
- Simon Says, on Sangamore Road, lies west of the commercial district. Facebook.
- CorePower Yoga, Bethesda – Facebook – Teacher training. Part of a national chain of yoga studios
- Allay Yoga, Kennsington. Teacher training: 200 hours.
East of Rock Creek
- Takoma Park Bikram Yoga – hot yoga, as always.
- Willow Street Yoga Center – Suzie Hurley’s center has two sites, in Silver Spring and Takoma Park. Anusara Yoga predominates. Teacher training. Offers a 108-hour Anusara Immersion program, which is a prerequisite for teacher training.
- Blue Heron Wellness offers a variety of health services, as well as yoga, in Silver Spring.
- YinYang Yoga and Wellness: It also offers Accupuncture, Massage, Reiki and Chinese herbal medicine. In Sandy Spring. It offers teacher training for aerial yoga. Check out the Funky Friday yoga class at 9:30 for $5.
- Olney Yoga and Wellness under new management.
- The Still Point Yoga – close to Clarkville so it’s closer to Columbia than Rockville.
- Quiet Willow Yoga, Silver Spring
Way Out There
- Sage Yoga Damascus has programs for adults and kids.
- Mindful Grief is Heather K. Whittington who practices Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapy, making her one of the few in the Washington area so I am including here for easy reference. She also teaches meditation. Her website has MP3 downloads for meditation and a body scan.
- Ananda Shala Yoga & Pilates Studio is in Frederick and describes itself as a “full spectrum mind-body center and a Shiva Rea Prana Flow Yoga Studio.” Teacher training.
Updated on August 13, 2013
View Montgomery County (MD) Yoga Centers in a larger map